I wanted to talk a bit about a very interesting article I just read on MacWorld.com that polled more than 1,600 Mac users about the impact that Parallels and Apple’s Boot Camp are having on the market.
The numbers offer impressive answers to a few important questions:
- Is interoperability between Mac OS X and Windows really that important?
Clearly yes. 83% of respondants said that what we’re doing is good for the Mac community.
- What about non-Intel-Mac users? Will they be willing to upgrade to a “Mactel” just to run a few Windows apps?
Definitely. Because of Mac/Windows interoperability, MacWorld reports that nearly 3/4 of PowerPC Mac owners plan to buy an Intel-Mac in the next 12 months to take advantage of Windows/Mac interoperability.
- How does Parallels fit into all of this?
The numbers show that we’re already a leader in the space, and that we’re continuously picking up speed. As of right now, almost half of Intel-Mac owners already have Parallels installed on their Mac, or plan to do so soon. Compare that to Boot Camp; less than 40% of Mactel users have or will install it on their machines.
Pretty cool, right? Keep an eye on parallels.com for product updates and enhancements that will no doubt make these great numbers even higher!
If you haven’t done so already, check out what all the buzz is about by download a free, fully functional 30-day beta copy of Parallels Workstation for Mac OS X at the Parallels Download Center.
Almost forgot…check out Phillip Michael’s entire article on MacWorld.com.
I’ve received a number of emails and phone calls asking “I pre-ordered Workstation for Mac, so where’s my key?” This post will hopefully shed some light on what’s going on with that process.
When you pre-order a copy of Parallels Workstation, you’re effectively buying a “place holder” for one of the first keys that are available when the product is ready for sale. Here’s how things will work when you pre-order:
- Submit your order online at the Parallels Online Store.
- Save $10 because you’re smart and took advantage of our great pre-order discount.
- Download the beta product at the Download Center.
- Click “Get a trial key”, which will get you a 30-day beta key and enable you to use the product during beta the program.
SIDE NOTE: If you have a key that’s ready to expire, you should have received a replacement key via email. If you didn’t, email support at email@example.com and they’ll help you out.
- The minute the product is released, you’ll recieve a permanent activiation key and a download link for the GA product.
- Update Parallels, input the key, and get back to work!
I hope this clears things up. Thanks again for your support, and your patience!
I’ve received a number of emails and blog comments about the status of the forum, and wanted to take a moment to explain what’s going on.
The forum is NOT down, and never will be! Registered forum members are still able to post new threads, ask questions, respond to other posts, and read every single thread and post that’s on the forum. All we have done is removed the links from our main menu structure.
After much discussion, we decided to do this was because the forum was starting to get flooded with posts from non-Parallels users, and many of the threads popping up were completely off-topic. When the forum becomes “dilluted” with off-topic posts and threads, it becomes less useful to the people who need it most – Parallels customers, evaulators and beta testers – and makes it harder for our support teams to answer important technical questions.
We’ll be closely watching the forum over the next few weeks, and may tweak our approach based on those observations. Just know that whatever happens, the forum will never, ever close!
BTW, the forum is accessible at forum.parallels.com.
Many of you have sent email asking what’s going to happen if your beta key expires, but the product isn’t out of beta.
I’m pleased to say that we’ll be issuing new, extended beta keys that will enable you to continue using Parallels Workstation for Mac OS X through the end of the beta program. You’ll be receiving a simple text mail with your new key shortly; just click “Help”, then click “Activate this product”, and enter your new key. You’ll be good to go!
Remember that you can pre-order Parallels Workstation for Mac OS X now for $39.99 – $10 off the regular retail price! Get your copy now at our online store.
Beta6 arrived this Saturday, and its ready for download now! Hit the Parallels Download Center and get your copy now!
Remember, if you’re already a Parallels user, you DO NOT have to re-build your virtual machines. Just upgrade your Parallels installation and you’ll be good to go.
Improvements and Fixes in Beta6:
- USB fixes (more devices supported: PDA, scanner, etc.)
- Shared Folders fixes (added support for guest Windows 2000)
- Network improvements: host-only networking
- Custom video resolutions support added
- Image Tool introduced
- Autoupdate introduced
- Kernel panic in virtual memory manager fixed
- Shutdown in fullscreen mode hang fixed
- Virtual disk sync() problem with Linux guests fixed
- Some USB devices may not work
- Network doesn’t work in Linux guests if bridged to WiFi
- Resume doesn’t work correctly if suspend was made while playing audio inside guest
- Fullscreen may not work for some custom resolutions