After a few months of me talking your ear off about our Desktop for Mac product, I’m proud to say that we have new news on the Windows and Linux front, with the launch of beta testing for Parallels Workstation 2.2, a more powerful version of our virtualization software for Windows and Linux!
Workstation 2.2 beta includes many of the great features that our Desktop for Mac users love, including:
- Shared Folders that allow users to share files and folders between OSes
- Better sound recording and playback
- Smoother video playback
- Smoother fullscreen transitions and support for native screen resolutions
- Better USB support, including support for isynchronous devices and Windows Mobile 5
As well as several new features, like:
- Full support for AMD Secure Virtual Machine technology. This technology, which is similar to Intel Virtualization Technology (which we’ve supported for months), dramatically improves the speed, performance, stability and isolation of virtual machines by offloading some of the “heavy lifting” from our engine directly to the processor
- Support for NetBSD as a guest OS, and better support for Solaris guest VMs
- Support for machines with up to 32 CPUs
All in all, its really solid. Check out all of the upgrades and new features at the Workstation 2.2 main page.
IF YOU’RE A REGISTERED USER:
- As part of our committment to reasonable pricing, the update to 2.2 is COMPLETELY FREE for all Workstation 2.1 users!
- When we release the final update in just a few weeks, Parallels Workstation will auto-update. If you have auto update disabled, you’ll be able to manually update Parallels Workstation by downloading the update package from our site.
- You will NOT need to reinstall any guest OS, nor will you lose any data when you upgrade to Workstation 2.2 Beta.
- Don’t forget to update Parallels Tools after upgrading to 2.2 Beta! Click the “VM” tab in the Parallels menu bar, then click “Install Tools”. You’ll need to be logged into your VM to do this.
IF YOU’RE A NEW USER:
- You can start using Parallels Workstation 2.2 Beta by downloading and installing the beta on a “bare” machine.
- Follow the Quick Start Guide to get started.
- Note to all users: updated documentation is coming soon…stay tuned.
- Be sure to visit the Technical Support Forum for handy tricks, answers to FAQs and to hear what other users are saying
Hopefully you’re as excited about the new version as I am. Get it now! Oh, and don’t forget to tell us what you think!
- Submit bugs, make feature requests and submit general feedback through our online beta feedback form.