Remember our last blog post where you were the IT Manager of ABC Ltd? And you had to configure 300 emails on 300 mobile devices? And then you had to retrieve the important corporate data which was stored on John’s mobile device without him coming into the office? Well, if you do then you will also remember that I promised to provide you with the step by step guide on how to remotely configure, deploy and wipe corporate email on mobile devices. Here it is! See for yourself how easy it really is with 2X MDM version 6.3 which now incorporates the popular Android email client AquaMail.
AquaMail on 2X MDM
As mentioned in our previous blog post 2X MDM can push out email configurations to Android devices. 2X Mobile Mobile Device Manager uses the email client, AquaMail, to be able to control the email configuration for mobile devices. The main reason AquaMail is used is because the stock Android email client does not have remote configuration capabilities. The stock Android Email app is very limited and AquaMail is a much respected email client that has significant capabilities over and above the stock email client. It is also much more user friendly. 2X bundles the AquaMail client at no cost with 2X MDM, to help you manage corporate email on mobile devices much more easily and less time consuming.
AquaMail Advantages over Stock Android Client
- Push mail (IMAP IDLE, instant incoming email delivery) for those servers that support it
- Many mail configuration options including separate notification settings for each account, Night,Silent,Weekend modes and other.
- Can save attachments on the memory card, can attach any file type, can download compressed files and decompress them automatically for the user.
- Message auto-fit (like in Gmail) on Android 4.0 and above.
- Easy automatic setup for popular email services: Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail (POP3 only), FastMail, Apple mail services
Installing AquaMail for 2X MDM on Android Devices
To install AquaMail for the first time on an Android device, please follow the following steps:
- Log into the 2X MDM portal, click on the ‘Devices’ node and click on the device that you want to install AquaMail on.
- Click on the ‘Email’ tab and a message dialog will appear indicating that AquaMail is needed to deploy email configurations and asking you if you want to install the AquaMail client.
- Select ‘Yes’ and a confirmation message will appear indicating the application install is pending on the device.
- Accept the deployment and the installation of AquaMail on your mobile device.
- It is now possible to remotely configure the email client on your smartphone.
Alternative AquaMail installation procedure
You may also deploy AquaMail on a device or group of devices differently:
- Log into the 2X MDM portal and go to the ‘Devices’ node and select the device/ or go to ‘Policies’ and select the group of devices that you want to install AquaMail on.
- Click on the ‘Applications’ tab and select ‘Add from repository’ or click on ‘Add’ and select ‘From repository’ if its a group of devices.
- From the Repository list of applications select ‘AquaMail for 2X MDM’ (AquaMail is by default included in the repository for you to easily select it).
- Press ‘Add’ and the application will be deployed on the device/s.
- Accept the installation on your device/s.
- You are ready to deploy your email accounts on your device/s.
Adding Email Accounts
To configure an email account on the 2X MDM AquaMail app for an Android device follow the these steps:
- Click on the ‘Devices’ node and select the device that you want to push the new account on.
- Click on the ‘Email’ tab and then press ‘Add Account’.
- Fill in the account details such as the account description, account type, email address and configure the incoming email and outgoing email server settings. These settings are dependant on who your email provider is. In the above example a Gmail account was used, your email provider settings may vary.
- Once you finish filling out the email account settings, click ‘Add’. The email profile will now be pushed out within a few seconds to the AquaMail client on your device and AquaMail will configure the email account automatically.
Removing Email Accounts from Devices.
We have seen how to add email accounts to an Android device. But what happens when an employee leaves, just like John did in our previous blog post, without giving the administrator the chance to get his hands on the device and remove the corporate email account and all the confidential information and important corporate data that were downloaded on the device as attachments? This important corporate data can include confidential client information, contracts, staff information and other sensitive data. Don’t worry there is an easy solution to that problem with 2X MDM. You can remotely remove email accounts that were deployed using 2X MDM safely and any attachments downloaded to your device are deleted along with the accounts.
It’s very simple just follow these steps:
- Log in to the 2X MDM portal and click on the ‘Devices’ node.
- Select the device that you want to remove email accounts from and click on the ‘Email’ tab.
- Select the email account that you want to remove from the Android device, click on the ‘Delete’ button and select ‘Delete’ when the confirmation dialogue appears.
- A confirmation dialogue will appear on the screen confirming the removal of the account from the device as shown above.
Pretty easy isn’t it? Now to give it a try it’s even easier, just head over to our signup page and create your Free 5 device account!